Tuesday 23 June 2009

23/6 Dunsfold Park Series #10

Great conditions again at Dunsfold tonight, perfect blue skies and a little wind. If difference to normal the wind was in your face on the start/finish line. I took in a couple of laps to get warmed up ready for the start. I'd imagined a tough race tonight as most of the Mitre were competing in the inter-club 10 TT over at Steyning. Thankfullly I wasn't alone and 4 Mitres lined up on the start line.

Tonight was a handicap race with longer split times between the groups. Women off first, followed a few minutes later by the 4ths, then us in the 3rds, and finally a small but strong group of E/1/2's. The more experienced 3rd's in our group got us organised on the chase from the start line. 2 lines through-and-off and no let up until we'd caught the 4ths. 30 or so of us worked together in this fashion with a few getting a free ride at the back. Within 5 laps we'd caught the 4ths, ourselves being caught a lap later by the E/1/2's.

The organised chase for the first 20-30 minutes of the race was perfect warmup for the action in the second half. As the E/1's started to attack each other the race pace increased and being close to the front I'd managed to keep up with the quick changes in speed. Coming round the top for the 8th lap prime, one of the Wildside 1st cat riders came alongside Nick and myself saying that they were going to attack just before the prime and they wanted one of us to come along. I didn't need asking twice and approaching the prime sprint along with group of 5 E/1's we attacked off the front of the bunch. I must have picked up some prime points in the process as we opened up a tasty gap from the bunch.

Unfortunately our move was nulified by a quick organisation of the bunch and half a lap later it was altogether. Coming into the final lap it was obvious tonights episode was going to be decided in another mass gallop for the line. I'd positioned myself in the front 15 of the bunch but started to get boxed in coming up to the final bend before the finish. I spotted Thatch moving up and tried to follow but the gap closed up behind him as he powered off towards the finish in 10th place. I came a second later about 25th, my best result at Dunsfold so far. The other Mitre chaps all finished in the top 25, a good night all round.

No comments: