Tuesday 9 June 2009

Bike Radar Live


As my somewhat lame season of cycling continues(in comparison with Mitre Bert) I found myself at Donington Race track for Bike Radar Live on May 30th. The concept is as follows: Bike Radar – an umbrella brand for all the major cycling magazines brings together 4X racing, XC racing enduro style, hot laps around Donington race circuit, BMX, bike demo’s etc. It worked too. Great fun, amazing weather and lots of smiley faces and interesting tan lines.

I was there to do my first 100 mile Sportive of the year. At 7.30 when I woke up it was already getting hot – it went on to be about 29C which was a little harsh. Considering the Sportive started at 8am and I needed to eat, build my bike and register I realised I would be cutting it fine! Due to a delayed and staggered start I was able to make it to the last but one start time.

I rolled up to the line with Cliff, a CycleSurgery colleague who was riding with me and Geoff Thomas – the Pro footballer who suffered Leukaemia, recovered and read Lance Armstrong’s book, next thing you know he rode every stage of the TDF and is now a big name in charity cycling & fundraising.

As I rode off the start ramp I knew it would be hot, fast and I knew that my poor preparation meant I had no food or energy gels to help me round the next 100 miles.

I was somehow feeling good – considering the campsite was situated directly under the landing strip of East Midlands Airport and I had only 2 hours of non interrupted sleep. I rode past lots of people and then about 7 miles in I caught a group of very motivated riders, I settled into their rhythm and we were really moving, I stayed in the front 6 riders, doing my turn frequently and dragging the group at 23mph average. At one point on the front I caught this guy who had a funny retro team kit and no socks on, his riding style was really peculiar and he really stood out, I later found out that it was Graeme Obree – who has twice broken the world hour record and is famed for being the pursuit champion on a bike made of washing machine parts… I digress and I spat him out of the group. No respect from our train!

At 40 miles there was a road split. Here I realised that turning left takes you 20 miles back home to complete the 60 mile route, right is the 100 mile route – My train veered to the left and I was the only one turning right! The penny dropped that I had been in a group – all shaven legs riding at a 60 mile flat course pace and I had to go 60 more miles through the peak district… whoops.

The route was good, and on my own I quickly latched onto a group of riders from a Derby based club who were riding together. We worked well and when we reached the 60 mile checkpoint we were the first people in. This was my first opportunity to re-fill my water bottles and pick up some gels. There was no free food available and I believe that this had a big impact on my next 40 miles.

From this point we were deep within the Peaks, we went up 1 in 4 hills and soon after we rode through Hartington – home of smelly cheese I was spat out of the back of the group along with another guy who had also been hanging on by the skin of his teeth. We worked together and managed to ride quite well, however I was longing for the 80 mile checkpoint and hoping that solid food and plain water rather than PSP would be available as the heat was now properly blazing.

A 2 minute stretch, a handful of sickly PSP strawberry bars and fresh water refill were a welcomed addition, the full on headwind for the final 20 however was not.
For reasons of vanity I had done without gloves so my hands were raw from the sweaty hands rubbing on DA hoods, My body was depleted of anything useful and I have never needed a pizza so badly! I arrived at Donington race track and somehow managed to sprint round the race track – that tarmac is so amazing to ride on!

As I went the wrong way for 3 miles at one stage and had to turn back my ride distance was 106 miles, and I finished in 5hrs 52 in 22nd place.

This ride was brutal – not due to the terrain, but due to the scorching heat and the punishing first 40 mile pace, however I was pretty impressed with my bodies ability to cope and I feel that without the 6 mile diversion and if I had a bit of cake stuffed in my pocket I could have done even better.

All this positive talk will be lost in my next post as this weekend I tackle the infamous Dragon Ride in South Wales. One of 3 European Grand Fondo’s and 3500 entrants taking on the 117 miles and 3000m of climbing. My legs are protesting already

No comments: