Monday 15 June 2009

13/6 Minet Park Grand Prix - Hillingdon

01:50pm - Race - Minet Park Grand Prix / 4th Cat Race / 1 Hour + 5 Laps (Hillingdon)

Got to Hillingdon circuit in good time and started to warm up. The circuit wasn't what I expected, was thinking more along the lines of Cherstey but instead it was more like Hove Park. During warmup I checked out the other riders. A far number of hairy legs and pot bellies around, but also a few handy looking people. Never judge a book by its cover I thought...

25 or so signed on for the race in glorious sunshine with a slight wind. The circuit really suited my abilities with its sharp fast corners and slight rise to the finish. Looking around the start line I figured of the 25 it would come down to about 6-7 of us at the finish.

First 30 minutes was relatively un-eventful. Heart rates were ok and I sat in the front 1o up on the bars. A few tried to get away but it was pointless, the fast laps meant that once into the wind they'd soon tire and get caught. I was feeling great and as the half hour approached was starting to feel restless for some action.

A couple of guys had attacked of sorts coming up the rise and had opened a 50m gap on the bunch. I decided to bridge over, but saved my move for the series of hard turns after the finish line. Cornering in the bunch was shakey and slow for a lot of riders and I knew I could easily open a gap without expending much effort. With 30 minutes to go I attacked off the front of the bunch coming into the first bend, took it at full speed shot straight past the 2 guys out at the front. Went flat out for the next 100m and sat up to see what response I'd got. The bunch came up shortly after, with one guy wheezing saying to slow up as we'd still got 30 minutes of racing left. During that effort I'd reached a new max heart rate again at 190bpm.

15 minutes later I'd recovered and gave another dig in the corners again, this time using almost no effort to get another 50m gap. This created more of a reaction this time round as 10-15 riders reacted and chased me down. 10 minutes later another guy did the same and in following I was up at 100% effort again. The combined efforts of both these attacks was enough to shake the dead wood from the bunch leaving about 10-15 of us for the last few laps.

A few more attacks rained in, but they were all left to dangle about 25m off the front, the wind and the rise to the finish line soon tiring them out. On the second to last lap a serious effort was put in by a Brixton wheelers chap and an independent and they started to gain some ground on the bunch. Coming into the base of the climb I decided this was looking a bit dangerous and did a third max effort to bridge across, reaching 103% max HR. By the last lap we'd been caught and it was down to about 7 us for the sprint finish.

One poor chap had made a mistake in the corners, coming out into the wind on the front. The worst place to be on the final lap. He kept weaving and slowing up trying to get someone to come through but he was stuck there. Looking over my right shoulder a chap was there grinning like a fucker at me, I'd not seen him all race at that point and I knew he'd been biding his time. I was in 2nd place, fighting for the wheel of the guy in front it with another rider. Coming into the rise 150m from the finish line he started his sprint and I reacted, jumping past the guy in front. As expected the smiler came past both of us, but was beaten on the line by a Dulwich Paragon rider. I came in 5th place, about 2 bike lengths behind.

I should have won, no doubt about it. In my impatience for the race to start proper earlier on I'd made 2 maximal efforts and a 3rd covering an attack in the last 10 minutes. Coming into the sprint I was in a perfect postion but just didn't have the legs for another hit.

Positives to take away was being able to reach new maximums and recover, and positioning for the sprint. Negatives were impatience and too aggressive riding wasting energy. Still, 5th place is 5 points towards my 3rd Cat license. It also felt great being able to influence the race and watch peoples reactions. 5 more points to get and its Thruxton tomorrow.

Results




View Larger Map

No comments: