Wednesday 1 July 2009

30/6 Dunsfold Park Series #11

Tonights scratchicap race was predicably tough, especially in the heat with little wind. There was also a good turn out of E/1/2s so it was going to be a fast evening. It was the closest so far I've had a chance of a top 10, though on this occasion lack of experience let me down a couple of times. Along with Nick, Rob and Nathan I set off with the 3rds and within a lap we'd caught the 4ths. We positioned ourselves at the front of the bunch to pre-empt the increase in pace with the arrival of the E/1/2s.

3rd lap in coming down the back straight a small group of E/1's attacked together. My aim for this race had been to get into a breakaway so I lept after them. Behind me were 3 others, all strong riders. Once we'd regrouped and started working to get away I realised the quality in this small group. 2 elite guys who'd ridden the National Championships at the weekend, a 1st cat chap who was leading the series and 3 super strong 3rd cats. Shortly after Driss and Nathan bridged over to us. For a lap I was on my limit trying to keep up with this group who were putting minutes into the bunch.

Trying to do my bit I found myself doing through-and-off with guys I'd been watching in Abergavenny 2 days earlier, I could hardly believe I was there. Looking at my heart rate I knew it would be tough to maintain this level of excertion in a group this strong and I made my first mistake of the evening and lost the wheel I was following. It just needed one more big effort to keep it and I'd have had a great chance of a top 10 as this group were never seen again by the bunch.

About 2 minutes later the bunch caught up with me and I slotted in behind Nick Sky. I'd recovered soon after and the rest of the race was spent trying to get away again. Nick and I attempted 4 or 5 times without success, until the last lap where I made another mistake. Rob had moved up to the front and was going to lead me out on the last lap for the remaining points. I'd not realised there were still placings on offer, so when another suicidal attack was made coming into the bell lap I followed. Obviously we were both caught within a minute or so and I lost my position, merging back into the bunch on the outside. Coming into the final lap I'd lost Rob and was fighting for position on my own on the outside of the bunch.

I crossed the line with the bunch narrowly missing out on a crash with a guy who stacked it sprinting out for 50th position. Afterwards Rob had a chat with me saying I should have stuck to his wheel on the last lap as attacks that late in the race never come to anything. A tough lesson learnt and a great oppourtunity missed for points at Dunsfold. Nathan came in 5th after surviving the breakaway (though the bunch nearly caught them on the last lap) and Driss unfortunately punctured. On the plus side I'd achieved my aim of making a breakaway, although for only a short time it was awesome riding with guys at that level.

No comments: