Wednesday 17 June 2009

16/6 Dunsfold Park Series #9

Got to Dunsfold early tonight with Martyn, sat in the sun taking it easy before getting ready to warm up. Mitre turn out tonight was myself, Morgan, Martyn, Driss and Paul Thatcher. Windy as usual but not too bad and blue skies. Tonights race was a scratch handicap and my first start with the 3rds. Of the 60 or so riders, the ladies went off first with about a minute gap to the 4ths, then us in the 3rds, then the E/1/2's shortly after.

I was feeling ok, legs good but could tell I was fatigued from the weekend. Couldn't get heart rates up high but was still able to get involved up front in chasing down the 4ths. Within a lap it was all together. Next 3-4 laps all the Mitre boys were in the front 20 working hard and both Driss and Paul had attacks after the primes. It wasn't until the 5th or 6th lap that a move went away with about 20-25 riders. At the time I was towards the back of the bunch having a breather from helping chase an early break so missed out on the split.

It took the group I was in about 4 laps to get organised in chasing the breakaway down. As it contained Driss, Martyn and Paul we didn't get too involved and just sat on wheels. A couple of riders tried to get things organised by zipping up and down the bunch shouting orders and eventually on the second to last lap everyone started working together. We caught the breakaway on the bell lap.

I came through to the front up with Driss and Paul and slipped into 2nd slot at the spearhead of the bunch. 3 guys were still away so the rest of the placings would be down to a bunch sprint. Coming into the final bend I switched to the front with Paul in my wheel and used my last effort to tow him along as fast as I could. With 200m to go I pulled over and let him steam past hotly persued by a phalanx of VC Meudon riders. He was swamped in the final bend and didn't make the placings, though I think Martyn got 8th or 9th.

Was a great evening, just what I needed after the weekend. Being able to stay with the bunch and get involved at the front on the final lap was good progress from my last race there in May where surviving to the end was my only goal. Next time the goal has be getting into a break. I like Dunsfold in that you have to mix it up with the Elites, 1sts and 2nds, it really pushes you to your limits right through the whole race. Although you have little chance of getting a top 10, each race you can set a new goal to acheive as the pressure to get a result is off. One week working on chasing, another try and get in a break, another try and steal a prime before the E/1/2's catch you etc.

I've got tomorrow off work and will get a good rest ready for the final of the Lewes Crits series. Its double points for primes and placings tomorrow night so its anyones for the taking. Nathan currently has a 6 point lead on GC which we aim to protect by dominating the primes and protecting Nathan till the finish.

No comments: