Friday 19 June 2009

18/6 Lewes Crits #3

Double points tonight and points mean prizes. The last of the series was set to be a close fought battle from the gun. We'd decided to mark the top 5 on the GC in pairs, myself teaming up with Martyn to mark #59, a powerhouse from Southdown Velo who lay in second place over all. We were slightly down on numbers tonight but everyone was fired up for the task of protecting Nathan's lead in the series.

Felt great in the warm up, even after Dunsfold, just seem to be getting stronger each race at the moment. However I was feeling aprehensive about the race and wondered if this would be one to many after 4 in 6 days. At the start line Martyn and myself flanked #59 on both sides and shadowed him during the neutralised start. My task on the first lap was to follow his every move and cover any attacks, whilst Martyn would lead out Nathan on the first prime. Other riders were responsible for the rest of the GC, and everyone else would cover any other attacks.

On the first lap we were up in the front 5 or 6 going full gas, even then a few attacks went in. The Mergler and Driss were up there chasing them down bringing it all back together once on Laughton Road. The first prime was fast approaching and a couple of miles out the bunch started getting twitchy as teams positioned themselves for the lead out. Several attacks went on Laughton Road, including #59 who I stuck to like glue.

Coming into the rise up to the prime, Nathan stuck to Martyn's wheel as he guided him through to the front. I was right on the wheel of my marker, but using his skill and experience he managed to shake me off, squeezing through the tightest of gaps by phyiscially brushing people aside with his shoulders. The gap snapped shut and I was left to see him get towed to the prime which he eventually won, pipping Nathan into second. Not exactly to plan so far.

Second lap it was my turn to get Nathan to the prime whilst Martyn covered #59. Several more attacks rained in on the Broyle but nothing dangerous as yet. Laughton road was another matter, with the One Life Fuga boys determined to get their man to the prime first, along with Bayeux Landcapes. In the 3 miles to the prime I helped close 4 major attacks down. By the time we reached the prime I was of no use whatsoever to Nathan. He contended the prime on his own but was swamped out by the small but strong organised teams. No points for the Mitre on prime 2.

Lap 3 was absolute hell. Chasing #59 around the circuit for 2 laps had left me with nothing left and after the prime I was 10m off the back of the bunch at my limit. Thankfully Nick Haskoll dropped back and paced me back to the bossom of the bunch. It took a mile and some last effort digs from to maintain his wheel. Once in the bunch I'd necked a gel and half a bottle and kept out the wind. Driss, Martyn, Mergler, Mick and Morgan were all up the front keeping an eye on things so I sat on wheels for lap 4 trying to recover.

Same as the first Lewes Crits, coming into the last lap I was fully recovered and started to work my way back to the front. Hitting the Broyle for the last time Martyn pulled up alongside and told me not to let anything get away. Seconds later Will Kemp from One Life Fuga (who eventually won) attacked strong and got about 20m off the front of the bunch and looked like he had the legs to keep going. A couple of Mitres tried to follow but faded, digging deeper again I managed to get over to his wheel and sat there. We dangled out front for a while but not for long, the other teams by now getting organised ready for the finish. Mitre shirts were appearing left right and centre, along with all the Bayeux Landscapes riders, One life Fuga and the 2 super strong Southdown Velo’s. The lone rider from Sigma Sport who won last week was also up there.

Last time onto Laughton road the race was really in top gear now. A few last minute attacks were made and with the Mergler we closed them down just as another fired off. Mick and Morgan both tried for the Mitre but faded, and the Mergler shortly after. The head of the bunch was made up of all the top 5 on GC plus me stuck to the wheel of the Sigma Sport chap. I knew if I could stay on his wheel I’d have a good chance of ending up in the top 10, if my legs held out. Will Kemp from One Life Fuga had a last ditch attack using all his remaining effort and opened up a big gap off the front. No-one appeared willing to chase, and in hindsight I wished I’d taken his wheel and not the Sigma Sport guys.

500m from the finish line, preparing myself for one last all out effort I could see the Sigma chap preparing to leap from the bunch. This time I was going to make sure I didn’t get boxed in and jump with him. Seconds later I hit a pot hole at 35mph. Front tyre blew out instantly as the rim slammed against the side of the hole. The bike sprang right into the bunch, but somehow I managed to stay upright leaning on a guy next to me. Thankfully he was strong enough to take the weight of my lurching into him and we both avoided a horrendous crash. Behind me were 2/3rds of the bunch travelling at over 30mph. I freewheeled to the verge and watched the bunch scream past, adrenaline rocketing wondering what could have been – if I’d been able to contend the finish and if I’d crashed.

Nick Haskoll saved me for a second time, returning from the finish with a spare tube and inflator. I got back to the Roebuck pub just in time to see the award ceremony where Nathan got a very respectable 3rd place overall. Will Kemp won the series with the Sigma Sport chap in second. I was now beginning to realise how lucky I’d been instead of being preoccupied with what result I could have got. People who were behind me when I’d had the blow out came up saying they were sure that me and everyone else were going to eat tarmac.

Next race is Sunday at Goodwood with the 3rds. Full results and more pictures of the race are here - http://ontherivet.ning.com/

No comments: