Monday 25 August 2008

The joys of searching for a new bike


I own three bikes at the moment - the Trek and Klein above (the Vitus was sold a couple of years ago, but it looked so nice, it would be a crime not to show a photo). The third bike (not pictured, for reasons that will become apparent) is my "city bike" which I bought in Munich from a bike workshop run by long-term unemployed people (e.g. people with learning difficulties). The bike is a bastardised mutant accident waiting to happen. It's a kids steel frame with strange size wheels, 5 speeds and brakes that just emphasise how disturbingly loose all the bearings are. The wheels are the main problem - when I got my first puncture, I took off the tyre to reveal that the shop had stuffed a way bigger old inner tube inside. I bought new tyres recently and because they are non-standard, antique sizes, they cost me EUR 29 - each. The whole bike only cost EUR 25!

So, I'm in the market for a new city bike. I toyed with the idea of an ultra-minimalist single speed. But then thought, ok, well, I'm going to need lights. Plus a rack would be handy. And, if I'm going to cycle to work on it, a chain guard would be practical. Actually, there are a few small inclines on the way to work, so rather than sweating up them on a single speed, a few gears would be nice, just to pootle along... You get the idea - a horrendously practical and uncool city bike, the kind I used to laugh at a few years ago.

Now, I have to swallow my pride and go shopping for "sensible" bikes and wear my blinkers to try to ignore the carbon-fibre fixed wheel courier bikes with custom paint jobs displayed in the window. I'm trying to think of a way to at least salvage a semblance of coolness from the situation - e.g. buying a Moulton or something, but I think it's a lost cause. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

8 comments:

Alan Buttler said...

Ok I think I've found the perfect bike...

semblance of coolness - check
gears - 8 speed check
chainguard - check
custom paint job - check
mudguards - check
brooks saddle for the mature rider - check

gwydion said...

My God, I don't know whether that's the best bike I've ever seen, or the worst! I need a combination of that Cannondale with the Swiss Army Bicycle. But it's good to know there are bikes like that out there. Thanks to your link I found this similar one too, which is also a contender...

I think that a hub gear sounds really good - good catch!

gwydion said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gwydion said...

EUR2000 though :-( About EUR1500 more than I want to pay! It does have integrated lights though, which is very cool...

curlybob said...

It is my new place to advise you to take a look at: http://www.cyclesurgery.com/

for all your cycling needs...

You should buy a Ridgeback like Boris

curlybob said...

boring but a big seller, and basically a tricross...

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1025300/Specialized-Globe-City-5-1.html

curlybob said...

forgot to say it is £400 and comes with built in lights...

gwydion said...

Thanks Bob - that looks just the business to be honest - will try to check it out here in Berlin - I know of a local Specialized dealer...