Monday 11 August 2008

Excorcised

It's over, the Devil Ride demon finally ousted after a day of pain and suffering in the mountains of Mid Wales. It was an epic day with no prisoners being taken from the onset. The first climb reared up less than a mile out of Builth Wells with a 25% ramp welcoming the first riders out of the start point. Rain, hail and wind plagued the first 40 miles through the hardest sections of the route making climbing on the steepest sections tricky. I lost traction on spots of tarmac a few times on my pro race 3’s and had to chose a line carefully. Descending was equally as tricky though having knowledge of the roads was a big bonus.

I can definitely recommend riding as much of the route as possible a few weeks before to gauge how to pace yourself, when to eat and to concentrate on recovery. Knowing that in the last 30km there was a 10% climb (which I’m sure was at least 20%!! They must have run out of signs!) helped to plan food intake to have enough in the tank for the finish. The only mistake I made was after completing what I thought was the last climb I mentally switched off contemplating the rolling ride back into Builth. Instead there were a couple of final short sharp climbs in the last 10km to keep people on their toes.

I was surprised to see so few people working together on the course of the route. It seemed to be predominantly individuals, or a small groups riding without any co-operation, even in the strong winds. I was lucky to get chatting to a chap in the last 40km and we decided to both work together right to the finish. I was still feeling strong from Crossgates so did enough work to get us over the 10% climb out of Newbridge, but then needed a pull myself for the last few climbs. Working together we managed to get good times – myself on 06h29m59s getting Silver and the other chap who was in the next age category got within Gold by a few minutes. Not bad for a team effort! Check the results here.

My parents were out on the route at various points doing a great job in providing feeding station like facilities for our group, with many riders slowing down thinking (some hoping!) it was an official stop. The facilities overall were excellent, plenty of food and drink at the feeding stations and a well sign posted route. As my first experience of a sportive it was awesome and off the back of it I’ve entered the Burgess Hill Rumble at the end of August and the Trans Cambrian a week later. The Trans Cambrian looks tough as well, Rhayader to Llanidloes via St Harmon, then via Clywedog and Dylife to Machynlleth, back via Nant-y-Moch and the Elan Valley. Its not quite as much climbing as the Devil Ride but looks just as challenging. Next time I'll try and not spend a week drinking 7% cider as preparation...

2 comments:

George Cordal said...

Amazing route and really well organised, definitely one for next years calendar.

gwydion said...

Ah, you need some Conti 4000S - they're the best thing since sliced bread. I didn't lose any traction on the ride, apart from a scary moment while braking over a cattle-grid.

Will you do it again then?