Sunday 17 August 2008

10 to South Africa

One of the better Berlin radio stations is running a competition to send 10 people to South Africa next year to compete in the "Cape Argus Pick'n'Pay Cycle Tour" in Capetown. Last year they sent 10 folks to New York to compete in the marathon and I took a look at lucky selected people and they were all old fogeys like me, including a Johnny Foreigner with a sporting injury - so I'm in with a chance!


I've just got to negotiate the entry form with strange questions, such as "What is the name of your inner pig-dog?" and a section to come clean about my arthritis, but it looks do-able. I just need to find a half-decent photo that will convince them to take me. Any suggestions from my facebook account, or from The Police 1984 tour archive, warmly welcomed...

2 comments:

Alan Buttler said...

Looks awesome! whats the selection process?

How are plans going for the Midnight Maurweg, do we have buy in from Keirin Berlin? :o)

gwydion said...

Selection process is just fill in the application form (all in German) and a small number of lucky people get selected. Quick fitness test later and you're in...

Application form needs to be in by mid-September. Even though there is space on the form for previous race experience, etc, I don't think it's a prerequisite to entering - they took on relative amateurs in the New York thing last year, so I think they are looking for interesting people rather than pro-athletes...

Midnight Mauerweg, is, I'm sure, illegal. Still, would be a great idea. Imagine finishing just as the sun was rising from behind the TV tower... Michal has yet to navigate the Mauerweg, so a midnight randonee might be a good baptism of fire there. You got lights, or shall we use flaming wicker torches?