Monday 23 March 2009

Thruxton 4th Cat Race (22/3)


Sunday was my second outing in a row to Thruxton for another crack at the 4th cat race. Weather was almost identical to last weekend, though this time there was a little more wind. Myself and Morgan would be racing again with Claire racing with the women in the E/1/2/3/4 race. This week however we'd have Dan with us who's been out photographing the Mitre on various training rides and club runs for a photography course project. This weekend he'd get chance to snap some action shots of us racing.

The major difference this weekend was how I was feeling. Friday nights fitness test was about purely surviving the 2 8 minute tests, being too tired to concentrate properly on breathing or pedal stroke I just wanted to get it over. It had been a hard week with a few late nights and it really showed on the test. I'd improved on the last test but not by the same margin from the test before. On top of that I was very pleased to be attending James and Katies amazing wedding at the OBE chapel at St Paul's. This combined with the culmination of the 6 Nations ruled out any kind of rest and recovery prior to the race Sunday.

Sunday morning I was feeling the effects of the £11 cognacs Kelv bought at the wedding along with only few hours sleep. Struggling to get breakfast down again I wondered if I'd be in for a repeat performance as at Darely Moor. Booze (pretty much anything more than a couple) and racing definately do not mix at all. What would normally be uncomfortable becomes excruiciating as your whole body screams at the effort. Once I'd picked up Dan and we were on our way however I was starting to feel a little better.

At Thruxton I signed on whilst Dan started snapping some behind the scenes pics and then warmed up. Next time I'll definately take the turbo for warming up, there isn't enough room at the aerodrome for a proper warmup, especially with 50 riders all trying to do the same. This weeks plan was pretty much the same as the last, though I wasn't sure how much effect the wedding hangover would have. Things to concentrate on would be spending more time in the bunch until the last lap to either hang on or conserve energy.

From the start the race felt completely different from last week. No pointless attacks, no bad handling or shouting and no crashes. The race felt more organised and was definately a lot faster. Already on the first lap coming up the climb my heart rate was starting to climb way above lactic threshold. Sit back, hide away, recover. 5 or so laps in I was actually starting to feel ok and was able to control my effort keeping heart rate just below anerobic effort except for the climb. Some serious attempts to break away started now and one chap actually kept clear for 3-4 laps before being caught. A good effort considering the wind.

2 laps to go and 3 strong guys made it away. The rest of the bunch would now be playing for the last 6 point placings. Penultimate lap I manuevered into the front 10 alongside Morgan, who was looking pretty comfortable. This time I managed to bury the urge and kept back behind wheels. Heart rate bobling around threshold. Last lap.

Another guy goes for it with intent and manages to dangle about 25m in front of the bunch. He's strong enough and keeps there as we hit the base of the climb. Things start to kick off, I hit the gas 100% and take the 4th wheel on the climb and things are looking good positionally, but then, bang! legs are shot again, exactly the same point as last week. As I come into the chicane 15 or so pass by, then another 10 coming into the finishing straight. Thinking fuck it, I get out the saddle and put everything I've got into a final pointless sprint. This effort smashes what I though was my maximum heart rate by 5 bpm's up to 101%. Cross the finish line almost throwing up.



Once I'd recovered I started to play back the race in my head. Not a bad effort considering how knackered I'd felt and a definate improvement technically and tactically than last week. Was also good to know that I can push through what I thought were my physical and mental limits, even though on this occasion there was no need. Back at the car Morgan produces some more great cake and we talk over the race over a cup of tea. Dan gets some more great snaps before we head back to Brighton.

That'll be my last Thruxton and last race for a while, this weekend I'm going to Poland for the World Track Championships with Meat and Chet, then the following weekend is Belgium for the Tour of Flanders sportive and a weeks training. Reports for both will be up on here soon!

Dan's flickr photo stream is here - includes snaps from recent training rides, club rooms, coffee stops, hill repeats and Thruxton.

BCF Race report and Photos.

No comments: