Monday 16 March 2009

My 2009 challenge

After the Devil Ride last year, I said I'd never do it again. But by the time the entry form came round for 2009, I'd forgotten the miserable slog over windy, wet, barren mountains in the Welsh "summer" and was really tempted to try it again. Luckily, in the meantime, a shorter, flatter alternative has come up and it starts on my doorstep...

The Skoda Velothon Berlin is a 120km ride starting and ending in the centre of Berlin and taking in the Brandenburg countryside.


I'm looking forward to checking out the route at a gentle pace sometime in the next few weeks as I start to build up my fitness from zero.

It will also be very interesting to start the race - the expected number of participants is... 15000!

6 comments:

Alan Buttler said...

I'm in! On Das Swobo!

gwydion said...

And you'll still kick my arse! ;-)

Very cool if you can make it. There should still be a few thousand places free...

Alan Buttler said...

Did you enter a team name or anything? I think it guarantees you start as a group then.

gwydion said...

Oh damn, no! :-( I entered my estimated speed as 20kmh, but after Meat dropped out, I didn't think to enter a team name... I'm so stupid, sorry..!

Maybe we can do it retroactively when the actual start documents are available...

Alan Buttler said...

Poss... shall I register under a team name then you reckon? Any ideas :)

gwydion said...

Yeah, try that...