Wednesday 11 February 2009

Cyclefit

Last week I visited Cyclefit in London on recommendation from someone at the Mitre club. I'd been having right knee problems and back ache on long rides so wanted to get it sorted before doing any more damange. Cyclefit provide professional bike fitting services, including examining posture, muscle recruitment, cleat position, injuries and range of motion. Their website describes their service better than I can!
"Cycle-Fitting is the meticulous understanding of the intricate human interaction with a bicycle, with the specific aim of gaining efficiency, power and comfort for every rider. Because we are concerned with optimising human movement that is being applied to complex machinery, cycle-fitting readily draws upon from the disciplines of ergonomics, bio-mechanics and kinesiology. In the pursuit for performance and the competitive edge CycleFit will always place science, knowledge and discipline above notions of faith and tradition. This rigorous approach has made us largely exceptional in the European and UK Cycle Industry and an acknowledged world authority in the field of building optimum bike-to-human relationships."
Before the session I was asked to fill out a questionairre, detailing my cycling history, goals, injuries/pains and what bikes I'd like to be measured up for. Lastly I was asked whether I'd like the custom molded footbeds at a discounted price included in the session.

The fitting session lasted 2 hours starting firstly with a review of ranges of motion, focusing on the hip, hamstrings and pelvis. This was to establish posture and muscle recruitment in support of a fluid pedal motion. Following on from the anatomical review we moved to foot and arch-shape where the largest part of the session was spent aligning and balancing the foot in view of improved cleat position. During this session it was found that my feet both rolled inwards due to my poor arches and previous ankle and hip injuries.

To combat this effect, custom molded footbeds were created to provide better comfort, stability and power transfer. This was an extra part of the fitting session but I'd definately recommend it, so far its made the greatest difference to my ride.

Next step was to review my current bike position. I'd taken my Trek along with me, though not essential I wanted to get the most from the 2 hours. If you were going to go yourself you could always measure the key dimensions of your bike and they'd setup the jig for a review. I was videoed riding at a 85-95rpm cadence for about 10 minutes after which adjustments were made to the jig ready for the fitting session.



Once on the jig first step was to evaluate asymmetry. Whilst riding a steady pace symmetry was measured using a laser guide. I'd been aware before that my right knee sometimes skimed the top tube and this process highlighted that. Cleat position was refined in view of the changes made to the footbeds and the asymmetry evaluation. 2 wedges were added underneath my right cleat and one to the left to improve aligning / balancing.


Next step was to again return to the video after a few adjustments were made to the jig. This session concentrated on muscle recruitment and core-condition / posture. Quite quickly it was spotted that as I slouch over the bars, my gluts were hardly being engaged at all and the pedal stroke was primarily delivered by the quads and calf muscles. Slouching also impinged on the diagphragm and core engagement, causing my neck and shoulders to take the strain.


Without any adjustment to the bike, but just sitting with my spine in a neutral position I was able to increase power and cadence with little extra effort. An awesome discovery! The outcome of which was some prescribed exercises to improve core stability and posture.


The session cost £200 and was money well spent. Since applying the changes made to the jig to my Trek and Tricross I've had no knee pain at all even during high intensity, high cadence workouts on the turbo. If you have any problems at all and you are planning lots of miles this year I'd definately recommend checking them out.



1 comment:

Junior said...

You could have saved yourself £200 and called me. I would have told you that you were a sloucher :)


You will never have an excuse not to comptete now you are a robo-rider

Nice to see you applying science rather than the old method of a night on the booze and a couple of nana's and a mars bar in the morning. Or is that a special diet for Elan Valley Rides.