Monday 23 February 2009

Chertsey 4th Cat Race 22/2

This weekend Claire and myself headed up to Chertsey for what would be my first race of the year as a 4th Cat. After hearing numerous tales of crashes and other shenanigins in the 4th Cat races I was eager to stay out of trouble and make it to the finish unscathed. Last year I'd only experienced flat out blasts around Goodwood and Dunsfold, so the couple of short climbs and descents at Chertsey sounded like they'd add a bit of spice. I was still feeling the effects of a fitness test the day before, but the good results were keeping my spirits high.

The start sheets for the 4ths were chocked with over 90 names and another 30+ for the 3W/4W race. Before we got underway, the field was split into 3 groups for a few 'training laps'. Each group was taken round the circuit a couple of times to give the many first timers a chance to get a feel for the course, spot holes and advise on general racing etiquette. It also served as a great warmup as we'd arrived late for the start.

We were finally underway and the large field headed into the first bend. Judging by the number of shouts and complaints to hold lines most of the advice given on the training laps had been instantly forgotten. After 2 or 3 laps I'd seen a couple of guys hit the gravel and heard a few spokes and wheels touching behind, so it wasn't long before I was putting the advice I'd received into practice, keeping in the front 10-15 and out of the troubles behind.

The short sharp climb really added to the race and I found it a great spot to reposition into the front 5-10 ready for the fast descent and then chicane into the home straight. I practiced this tactic on the last 7 laps, easing off just enough to not end up on the front but be in a good position for the long sweeping bend heading to the finishing straight. On the penultimate lap this worked out perfectly again and I was starting to think about the finish.

Heading down the finishing straight and into the final lap however I wasted too much energy trying to stay with the front riders. This effort proved pointless as by the time we reached the banked left hand bend the bunch regrouped again for a final breather before all hell let loose on the climbs. In hindsight I should have saved myself for the climbs and positioned then where I was at my strongest. Instead I struggled over the final lump almost at my limit whilst watching 30+ riders stream down the descent. Claire and myself crossed the line together in 40th and 41st position.

Although we didn't feature in the sprint it was an enjoyable race and great experience. The couple of short climbs seemed to suit my capabilities and I'll be looking forward to giving the circuit another shot soon!

Results


View Larger Map

2 comments:

gwydion said...

Great stuff - keep it coming - very interesting to follow how you're learning the ropes.

How come you're racer number 1, Mr Armstrong?

Alan Buttler said...

was first to register online for the race I think! Was a bit daunting pinning #1 onto my jersey :)