Friday 10 October 2008

Ghost Bikes







I'll announce my entry to Pedal Spanner with an article you may find somewhat macabre.

The phenomenon of Ghost Bikes came to my attention a week or so ago, by way of a Guardian feature

I was immediately struck by these spectral images, and the lives that had been lost. People like you and I, bikers. Somehow it's harder for me to relate to a car crash victim. Many are innocent of any irresponsibility. Some are caught up in a calamity not of their volition. Others again may be unfortunate victims of mechanical failure. But most in my view were the victims of their own speed.

Whether driving or riding around the country, I have often seen the wilted bunches of flowers pinned by the roadside, where people have lost their lives in cars, and thought it the saddest thing on earth. So often these ad hoc memorials mark where young men died. Having a good time, out for a laugh maybe, carefree.

If I'm driving, these roadside reminders do make a difference, because there is no way I want my life to end in violence, followed by violets. Horrific as the wayside flowers are, I then discovered Ghost Bikes.

Originating in the States, the phenomenon has spread rapidly, and it was the UK sites mentioned which drew me in and made me take notice. Places I have lived in or am living in now, places where family are, places I have cycled through. Some of the Ghost Bikes are tolerated by the authorities, whilst others are dismantled and some vandalized.

They serve as a painful reminder of how vulnerable we are as bikers, constructed and tended with the same care as the flowers by the verge, but more lasting and for me at least, more poignant.

More information and a map of locations are at www.ghostbikes.org

Ride on.

Ride Safe.

2 comments:

Alan Buttler said...

When it looked like I was lost in the dark on Saturday near Alfriston, I did imagine my cross bike sprayed white and left on the downs as a memory for a while... haha... :-S

Unknown said...

And this is why - as Cooch later observed - the above blog was "..universally accepted with silence" !! but not I suspect without reflection.

There, but for the Grace of God. . . . . . . .