Sunday 21 September 2008

I am a 1x1 convert

Pedal Spanner started strongly, however it appears the winter season has kicked in and no contributions, so I am going to slip in my first 'spannerblog'.

I have gone from cycling for fun to function. I now commute 6 miles each way to work. This weekend I sold my car and promptly invested in an engagement ring! - removing the temptation as the light gets less and the temp bar drops (man is it cold in the morning). so what does this mean for my cycling? I now start out of the gun at 8am and quickly get into a 20mph groove, and do not go below for 2 miles until I reach Guildford 'City' centre. Here I disect cars and risk death for 2 miles, accelerating hard and I feel it is helping my breaks. However, about this stage my lungs are normally wheezing so badly, I think it is the mixture of the cold and no proper warm up that makes a few puffs on the ventolin essential to keep breathing. the final 2 miles are a pacy burst to the industrial estate, then a mile cool down with some sprints, 1 past an abbertoir which is pretty nasty when you are trying hard to fill your lungs with fresh air! 

I love cycling in to work. I love not needing a car. I love working in the cycling industry, looking at bikes all day and making phone calls to the top marketing peeps from all top cycling companies. I feel lucky. 

I also feel compelled to let you know a perverse act I am soon to perform. I am going to sell my Trek full suss and buy a steel Surly 1x1  SS MTB (in orange). I rode one last weekend in Wales, and it was so amazing, I had to push up some hills but the whole, no need to worry about what gear you are in, whether your chain will slip, cleaning all cables after the ride, corroding linkages in the susspension etc. it was awesome! it was brutal, it was unforgiving but the most back to basics fun I can remeber on a bike. I may tire on a 5hr epic, but how often do we do them any more. 

I suggest you all give it a go. I was in the 'right' gear for about 5% of my ride, but it didn't seem to matter, see some mud - go fast so you don't get stuck; see a hill -  go fast so you get momentum to get up it; see a downhill - attack then enjoy a break and the thrill!. Get home, blast with some water, lube the chain, put in bedroom all shiny and don't worry about the shifting next ride etc...  I am a convert :) 

just as a riding update. Soph has been coming to see me evry weekend so squeezing a weekend ride has not been appealing, but as she moves in with me next weekend then Sunday morning rides will become the norm, MTB and Road - very excited, it looks like Godalming is a hub for cyclists. 

That's it for my first spannerblog, hope it didn't bore you all too much...

4 comments:

Alan Buttler said...

Yes! Bob you are not alone - the single speed MTB is in the thoughts and hearts of Kelv and myself also!

My stumpies days are numbered... so you'd recommend the Surly?

Its the way forward for the winter! That and a set of MaxxExposure lights :)

Things have been quiet on my front since the Trans Cambrian for one reason or another, missed 3 Cat 4 races and another sportive, but I'm back in the saddle this weekend... more to come on that shortly ;)

Good one bobless!

curlybob said...

Recommend the Surly for a couple of reasons. firstly it is the coolest steel SS MTB out there. but also because it is one of the few that are still suitable for 80mm forks - they have not change the frame design for a long time.

The on-one and charge are great and incredibly cheap but designed for 110 - a little more freeride I guess. If I was changing my forks I would give serious thought to them both - but they run true to the point and shoot mentality of SS, the surly still leaves a little technical challenge to get round rocks rather than bowl over.

If you don't want hours in the saddle, not concerned with back pain and the goal is serious trail ripping then either get a Cove handjob or a Santa Cruz Chameleon, the reports I have had are that they are very very stiff and unforgiving.

or spend some cash and go Ti... (my choice would be steel all the way and a toss up between 80 and 110mm fork choice. - Surly V On-one/Charge)

I totally get what you were saying now. SS is awesome.

gwydion said...

You're engaged? You're working in the cycle industry? I was only away for two days and I miss all this! Greetings from Duesseldorf Airport!

curlybob said...

Come on g, Keep up :)